Saturday, June 28, 2014

About my blog and turning over a new leaf

Welcome to my little space on the World Wide Web!

Honesty, the old proverb goes, is the best policy. Setting up this blog has been on my back burner for months. But even though I wanted to write about sustainable/ethical fashion, was I obsessed enough about fashion to fit in the chock-a-block fashion blogosphere? Need I be? I’ve never quite been the overly trend-driven fashionista. I do not mind wearing my favourite outfits again and again, and I fail to get what the problem with being photographed twice in the same dress is. But then I might spend three hours at the shopping mall looking for a white sleeveless blouse with lace detail. Clothes matter.

Recently, what I’ve been looking to buy are good quality clothes which fit well, look effortlessly stylish and are made to last. Most importantly, I look for classic styles and colours which (hopefully) won’t make me cringe when I look at my old pictures a decade from now. I avoid teenage clothing shops like the plague and I have mixed feelings about most of what I buy during sale shopping sprees. I strongly believe in the better quality over more quantity dictum, and I am ready to pay a little bit extra for that.

I have also followed the rise of the sustainable and ethical fashion movement and have become interested in buying clothes that are cruelty and sweatshop-free, and environmentally sustainable. This blog’s purpose is to document my journey into buying and wearing (stylish!) vegan-friendly clothing. That means that for me, leather, wool, silk and fur are now banned. At least the latter is easy enough - the anti-fur campaigns, peaking when I was still a kid, ensured I never even looked at fur items. Having achieved this, I will be concentrating on buying more sustainable and ethical clothing.

Do let me know your thoughts on the topics being discussed or any other related issue by posting a comment or sending an email to beyondtheglamour@mail.com. I am looking forward to lots of learning and researching!

2 comments:

  1. Ethical fashion is something I'm keen to spend more money on in the future. Right now I'm minimalising my wardrobe by buying nothing new in the hope of wearing out some of my current things. Prior to that I bought most of my clothes second-hand. But I want to support designers who are doing their bit to get ethical fashion into the mainstream, so I look forward to any posts you might have on the matter! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsay, thanks so much for the tip. Posts on ethical designers are definitely in the pipeline! :)

    ReplyDelete